We were given an assignment to design a book cover for the well-known New York Times and National #1 seller – A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar. Surprisingly enough, when I started working on the assignment, I assumed that it’d be hard to top off the previous book covers. I started my research, because I wanted to look what’s been done before and discovered that these were the ONLY book covers done for such a great book (and film, I might add):
Don’t you find them awful? Is this all the book cover designers hired to do the cover of this book could come up with, or am I missing something? Neither of them attract me as a reader, and even though they say that designing book covers is almost a lost art – thanks to Nook and Kindle, it’s still one of the most creative design job to do, if you do it with love, interest and passion. If you are still one of those people like me, who enjoys not only reading an actual physical book, but who also enjoys spending time at a book store, flipping through the pages of the new fiction and non-fiction books, you’d know that part of our attraction to pick up and open a certain book is – the cover. And there aren’t many books out there that are attractive (and intriguing) to me to make me want to look through it. It looks like someone just picked some graphics that matches the ‘subject matter’ of a book, dropped it on a book cover and used some convenient font all over it…Anyway, I’m speaking from my own personal experience.
Personally, I found designing a book cover for A Beautiful Mind book fascinating, because there’s so much you can work with – from science and paranoid schizophrenia to love affair and Princeton academic atmosphere, so I picked the imaging accordingly and came up with this cover:
My first version of the book cover:
However, after reviewing it in the classroom and receiving the comments from both the instructor and classmates, my second versions of the book looked like this:
However, the second version needed some more tweaking and adjustments to the type/text, so my final version now looks like this: